Wonderful side dish
- 1 pound navy beans
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cover the beans with water and soak overnight.
- Drain the beans and cover with fresh cold water.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes until beans are tender.
- Drain beans and reserve liquid. Pre-heat oven to 325°F.
- In a bean or deep casserole dish with a lid, combine the beans, onion, mustard, sugar, molasses and salt.
- Add enough of the cooking liquid to just cover the beans. Bake for 2-3 hours, checking frequently to make
- sure beans aren’t dry.
- Add more of reserved cooking liquid if necessary.
- Uncover the last 20 minutes to make a crust.